25 June 2010

follow friday

Why let #ff just be a Twitter thing?  I'll highlight one site or blog or whatever a week, give some background if applicable, share why I love it, and you can visit at your own discretion!  Sounds fun, right?  Okay, awesome.

I will start us off with one of my favorite sites EVER: Cake Wrecks!

Name: Cake Wrecks
URL:  www.cakewrecks.com
Tagline: When Professional Cakes Go Horribly, Hilariously Wrong
Publication: Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong
Facebook Page: Cake Wrecks
Twitter: @cakewrecks

This site keeps me laughing every day.  Jen, the sharp-witted creator, takes user-submitted photos of  ridiculously terrible grocery store cakes, and then provides us with comical banter about each atrocity.  Sometimes her husband John even chimes in.  She has set aside a special place in hell for Cupcake Cakes (or "CCCs" as they're known to this site's patrons), but my favorites fall into the "Literal LOLs" category.  Especially this one.  I laughed for a week at that, especially thanks to the subject heading.

One refreshing aspect of the Cake Wrecks blog is the weekly Sunday Sweets, where Jen highlights a few delightfully dazzling, splendidly show-stopping, positively pulchritudinous cakes.  This segment tends to lean a bit too heavily on fondant cakes, but it is a nice respite from the buttercream nightmares presented throughout the week. 

I gave my mother the Cake Wrecks book for Christmas, and of course I read the whole thing before I wrapped it.  She loved it, I loved it, and if you want to love it too, check out the website, buy the book, and see if they're currently touring in a city near you!

1 comment:

  1. HYSTERICAL! I must get that book for Gene, who had me drive three hours for a CUPCAKE! He will die!

    ReplyDelete