16 October 2010

crazy florida motorcyclists

There are some dumb people in Florida.  And I keep seeing them everywhere.  Ugh.  But this statute, adopted in the year 2000, makes their foolishness legal:

Florida Statute 316.211 (b):
Notwithstanding subsection (1), a person over 21 years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle without wearing protective headgear securely fastened upon his or her head if such person is covered by an insurance policy providing for at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of a crash while operating or riding on a motorcycle.


I've been doing some research on helmet laws, and apparently less than half of the states in the USA have helmet laws covering all riders.  I must have been living in the smart states. Wait... what?!   Look at this insane map:


So that means a 17-year-old punk can ride his crotch rocket through the streets of Chicago with no helmet?  I find something seriously WRONG with that.

The only state I've ever ridden on a motorcycle was in Georgia, so I was always handed an extra helmet.  B got his Indiana motorcycle license since his dad owns a Harley, but even he didn't know that there was limited law there.  He thought it was ridiculous when we started seeing riders here in Pensacola with nothing on their noggin.

These dumb motorcyclists freak me out.  I already get paranoid when driving behind or next to a motorcycle, and these idiots without helmets really make me cringe.  I refer to them as "organ donors," and I don't think I'm too far off.  Heck, I get mad when I see people riding BICYCLES without helmets (guess I was raised right, since it's technically illegal in GA if you're younger than 16).

The good thing around here is that the military members have to wear helmets (at least on base, but I think their CO would be TICKED if they didn't do it always).  And if they're in uniform, I've noticed that they usually wear those orange reflective vests at night.  Thank you for those, Uncle Sam.

What do you think?  Should all states have all-rider motorcycle helmet laws?  Or should bikers have a right to let the wind whip through their hair whenever they go for a spin?

7 comments:

  1. I think everyone should wear a helmet. I was driving from MA to NH and got behind a motorcycle once. I started laughing when we crossed the state line and the guy took his helmet off...while driving! And put it in his little bag thing he had attached to his bike. Just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This annoys me sooooo bad!! I live in Pa and you don't have to wear a helmet here either. My dad and grandfather both ride Harleys and I always want them to wear a helmet, but sometimes my dad doesn't! I think it is so dumb of him! I argue if I was on the Harley he wouldn't let me leave without my helmet, but I never win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone should wear helmets, but if people want to go without them, then that's fine. I'm not one to tell people how to live, but...

    Hubby had a bad accident once on his bike. He wears the whole get-up every time, and it saved his life. He says he landed face down on the highway and watched the pavement and gravel pass inches from his face. If he hadn't had a full-face helmet on, he would have had some serious injuries.

    I hope people think about that when they debate whether or not they want to wear the helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, etc!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cat, just to make the IL law that much more incredible. It is also legal in IL to drive between cars in traffic on your motorcycle so all those idiots weaving through bumper to bumper traffic without helmets or safety gear in Chicago are also legal. And I believe you don't have to carry insurance as a motorcyclist. Crazy huh? My dad says it is because the motorcycle gangs have the politicians in their "pocket". They are known in IL to be really rough (the gangs, that is).

    And to answer your question, I think people should want to wear them for their own safety, but I don't think it is necessary to make a law about it. Educate, but hey, if they want to be stupid...let them be stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's called personal choice, If you don't seriously ride a motorcycle you won't understand. There are times I ride with a helmet even if the law says I don't have to but I'd rather ride without. Do we REALLY want the government telling us everything we can or can't do or are we entitled to the Liberty the Constitution guarantees us?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your sacrifice in your husbands service from a Bubblehead Veteran.

    ReplyDelete