09 October 2010

milspouse friday fill-in

Good thing we're in the Central Time Zone now, or this wouldn't be on time. Sometimes I do these things, sometimes I don't.  I like to keep you on your toes.


 Head on over to Wife of a Sailor (another subby wife!) to join in and link up.

1. What is the longest road trip you’ve ever taken?
Where do I start?!  While I've probably been on more road trips in the past 15 years than most people take in their entire life, the answer to this is definitely my 2007 big-honkin' LOOP around the grand ole USofA (and one night in Canada) that I did with my mom.  It was about 6,000 miles total.  We had to get an oil change in the middle of it and everything.  We left at the beginning of August and said, "We'll be back by Labor Day, but we don't know when."  We camped it to keep the costs down.  Check out my post about just the first leg of it!  And NO WE DIDN'T USE A GPS. 

2. Do you collect anything? Tell us a bit about it.
I don't think so.  I have a habit of purchasing a magnets in foreign countries, but I really wouldn't call it a collection yet.  And our fridge is already full, so I think B is gonna limit my magnet-buying in the future.

3. What is your favorite part about being an adult?
Probably being self-aware and knowing my priorities and values.  And not feeling the need to be "cool" when around peers.

4. What song brings a tear to your eye?
There's a song by the usually light-hearted Christian rock band Relient K that always gets me.  It's called "Deathbed," and it's the last song on their Five Score and Seven Years Ago album.  I listened to this CD pretty much every time I drove from Virginia to Georgia, and I always ended up bawling.  The song is eleven minutes long, and it is essentially about a guy laying on his deathbed reminiscing on his crappy life.  But he ends it with how he came to Jesus at the very end, and then Jon Foreman of Switchfoot sings as Jesus saying, "I am the way, follow me and take my hand" etc.  And there is this instrumental 'going up to heaven' part.  It really is a beautiful song--go listen to it for yourself! 

5. Describe your first plane ride (how old you were, where you were heading, etc).
Apparently my first plane ride was from FL to GA (or vice versa) when I was an infant.  Which I obviously don't remember.  However, I do remember my second plane ride.  I was 6 years old, and we were flying to California.  I remember having a layover in Denver, and I remember seeing my older cousins for the first time--I still am the youngest first cousin on Dad's side.  I didn't remember this, but found out later that we went out there for my grandparents' 50th Anniversary.  There's a great picture of my dad's side of the family with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins hanging in my parents' house now (they just found it and hung it up within the past year).  It's precious because my grandmother died a year later.

No comments:

Post a Comment