29 August 2011

thoughts on a few classic musicals

For a person who grew up singing in choirs, sometimes I feel a bit behind when it comes to musical theatre.  There are a lot of classic ones from which I know a few that I've never actually seen.  Thanks to my love affair with the public library, some of this is being remedied.

Last night, I finally saw Annie Get Your Gun for the first time.  I couldn't believe how many songs from it I already knew, considering that I had no idea which musical they were actually from.  I actually sang "There's No Business Like Show Business" in a musical revue in high school with the whole choir.

Anyway, I liked the musical, for the most part.  UNTIL THE END.  I apologize for the spoiler alert (stop reading now if you really care), but talk about the wrong message to send to women!  In case you don't remember, Annie purposely loses a shooting contest against her love interest because he's the jealous kind and can't handle her being better than him.  Then they live happily ever after.  Excuse me?  Talk about a step backwards for feminism!  Okay okay, this musical was written and performed on both stage and in movie a few decades before the huge second-wave feminism push.  But still.

I've also felt this way about the musical Grease.  This was actually my favorite musical growing up and was the first show I ever saw on Broadway.  But before I grew up a little, it was all just fun catchy songs and throwback fashion to me.  (Seriously, I didn't even catch the part about Rizzo's pregnancy scare until I was at least 16.)  Then I saw the movie again in college or so, and geez.  Hey, let me change everything about myself to conform to this idiot man's standards because he apparently doesn't like who I actually am.  Gag.

Hey, girls of 2011, if he doesn't like you for who you are, move on.  Fifteen years later, I'm still kicking myself for intentionally throwing a spelling bee in 8th grade when I was in the final five (the word was "ruminate").  That was definitely fueled by hormones, and I know I would have won.  That's the only time I ever stooped that low, and I'm glad it was only once.  But never would have been better.  I'm pretty sure I intimidated guys in high school and college, but they obviously weren't up to muster anyway.  I promise there are plenty of guys that will actually like you, achievements and all.  So don't compromise.

Alright, that is my inspirational message for the day.


1 comment:

  1. Too funny! I blew a spelling bee in elementary school too because I was up against my crush and didn't want to beat him. Isn't it funny what we remember and think looking back now?!

    ReplyDelete