23 May 2012

10 Years

10 years ago today, I graduated high school.  I officially feel OLD.  Yet I also still feel like I'm 22 and freshly out of college.  Then I hear that Mark Zuckerburg turned another year older; he was born 3 weeks before me and is also a 2002 high school grad.  Well, I'm no billionaire.  But I had a kid first, actually finished college, and didn't have to trick people into coming to my wedding.  Take that, Zuckerburg!

Even though it wasn't my "peak," high school was good to me.  I won various awards and scholarships, got good grades, had good friends and made good memories.  I was the quirky smart girl who purposely mismatched all her outfits and pulled it off.  I got to dabble in everything that interested me--soccer, debate, quiz bowl, choir, cross country, Spanish club, the list goes on and on.  But if I look back on the highlights of my life, very few of them happened in those four years.

My high school has the longest name EVER.  (But we just called it "Central")
I've done a lot in the past 10 years.  Graduated college with two degrees, joined and finished AmeriCorps, moved a few times, gotten and quit a big-girl job, traveled both domestically and internationally, learned a lot of new skills (cooking included), volunteered for a wide range of nonprofits, gotten married, had a beautiful baby.  I'm sure there are a ton of great things I've left out as well, but those are the biggies.

I posted on Facebook about today being our 10-year date, and one of my best high school friends said it made her feel sad because it reminds her how close we are to turning 30!  I'm not scared of my thirties at all; I actually know plenty of people who LOVE their thirties.  Instead of fearing it, I just wonder what fun adventures the next 10 years will bring!

Can't believe my cheapo high school actually gave us our diplomas in this thing!
So I may not have a bazillion dollars like Mark Zuckerburg, but I do have the love of my family and friends, and that's pretty awesome.  I also haven't burned too many bridges, and no one has even tried to sue me.  Heck, I haven't even gotten a speeding ticket.  I guess I can't complain--here's to the next 10 years!

2 comments:

  1. happy 10 years and congrats on all the accomplishments since! mine is next year and my friend and i are actually the ones in charge of planning an official reunion!

    lol - your school DOES have the longest name ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cat! I love this post. Ole Mark doesn't have much on you! I'm a firm believer that he just got really lucky anyway :) Happy 10 years to you. I hope the next ten are even better.

    ReplyDelete