15 July 2012

Flyin' High

Thanks to Groupon, I got to fulfill one of my more adventurous goals from my list!

43. Go parasailing

Even though there are places to do this around here in Pensacola, the Groupon was for a place in Destin.  That's about an hour and a half east of here, and I had wanted to go visit anyway.  My mom was in town to come with us and watch the baby while we were out on the boat.

We had one hiccup in the day, where we found out the idiot who took our reservation had booked us for the wrong Sunday, but it ended up being a blessing in disguise.  They had extra spots on the later cruise, so we went for some ice cream and got the last outing of the day at 6pm.   It was much more pleasant weather!  And sort of a sunset cruise, too, although the sun just sorta hid behind some clouds when it was done.

As for parasailing--I loved it!  Well, actually I was pretty scared watching the first couple go up.  Then I reminded myself that I had pushed a baby out of me, so I could probably do this.

Before we were out there, I had no idea how they got you from point A on the boat to point B in the air.  I had some theories, which were all wrong.


They strap you in, then have you sit on the back of the boat.  Then they let out the line and speed up!  It was actually very smooth, even though I look scared out of my mind there.

Up, up, and away!
It was so quiet and calm once we were 500 feet up there.  I felt like I should say something profound.  Instead, I think I just said "Ooh, pretty" and held onto the straps for dear life.

The deckhand was nice and took pictures!
My favorite part was when they dipped us in the water.  It was a lovely day, and the water was delightfully warm!


We were the second couple of six to go in the air.  This was good for my nerves to get it over earlier, but terrible for my stomach.  I've never gotten seasick before, not even when I was pregnant.  But by the time the fifth couple was in the air, that ice cream and the rocking boat had joined forces against me.  It didn't get too bad (all stomach contents stayed intact), but the last half hour of the trip all I could think was, "Please get me off this boat!"  I was immediately better the second I got back onto land.  I didn't even have that rocking feeling in me when I went to bed that night.

All in all, we had a great day in Destin!

He hates it when I do cutesy stuff like this.

2 comments:

  1. Fun! I went parasailing in Majorca when I was there over Spring Break in 8th grade.... They don't put you on a boat there. You stand on the sand and run as the boat off-shore picks up speed...and then all of a sudden you're in the air....and then when you come back they place you down gently back on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS wanted to go parasailing but the price has always prevented me from being able to. I will have to scope out groupon for a deal. But also EVERYONE I have talked to that's done it tells me it's a waste of money/stupid. Glad to have found someone that thought it was fun!!

    ReplyDelete