28 September 2012

Where Life Takes Us Next

B accepted a job offer!

He is starting his new position on November 1.

He'll be doing something at a power plant, but not a nuclear power plant.

I'm sure you guys don't care much about that, you just want to know where we're going!

Well . . .

It's in the Eastern Time Zone. (I'm actually kind of bummed about this; I loved Central Time!)

It's the second-largest city in its state.

One of us graduated high school about 2 hours away from it.

We will need winter clothes to live there.

It is the 74th largest city in the United States with a population of 255,824.

It is known as The Summit City.

It has a large Burmese ex-pat community.  (I heard that on NPR, lol.)

We are moving to . . .
Fort Wayne, Indiana!


Yup.  Sort of back home for B.  He went to elementary school in this city, and his grandmother and various extended family live there. I finally get my "village" to help raise my child, so that's a plus.  However, I now have to dress my child in pants. And a jacket.  I have to learn how to drive in the snow.  No beach anywhere near, but I think there are lakes which you can actually swim in (no gators!).

As for how his job search went?  Well, I had previously mentioned the headhunters and job conferences and all that jazz.  Those amounted to squat for him.  This job was found the old-fashioned way: connections.  His cousin is an engineer up there (at GM, where he'll be working as well) and blasted his résumé out to anywhere she saw fit. B will be working for a contract company, but within the GM truck plant.

I suppose you want to know our timeline, too?  Yeah, I knew that when it happened it would happen quickly, which is why I quit my volunteer job right when he went on terminal leave.  We're moving NEXT FRIDAY (in one week!).  Holy crap.  The Navy is moving us; we had to pay an extra $100 or so because it's slightly farther than his hometown.  They're packing us up Thursday and the moving truck is coming Friday.  Our stuff will go in storage while we look for a 3-bedroom apartment.  We don't plan on buying a house immediately because I don't like being rushed into major life-altering, debt-inducing purchases.  We currently are debt-free, and will be taking a pay-cut for the initial part of this job (and the health insurance is flippin' expensive!), so we can probably get a better house in a better location later anyway.  We'll hopefully have a house in a year, but no rush. Renting has generally been good for us.  Maybe we're nuts, but we like  having other people mow the grass (and shovel the snow!).

So that's our story. Farewell, Navy.  Hello, Hoosiers!

6 comments:

  1. So happy your husband found a job! We really enjoyed Indiana when we lived there. The weather wasn't my favorite but otherwise it was great! Hope your move goes great! I'm so glad you are getting help with moving too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How extremely exciting! Best of luck to you and your family on this next journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for a job and moving closer to family! Praying your move goes well:)

    And just an FYI, my cousin & family just moved to southern Michigan...so if I ever get out to visit maybe we can try to arrange a meeting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck on your newest adventure! Moving can be stressful so I wish you well! :) Hopefully you'll love your new home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cat - Congrats on B getting a job! That is so awesome! God does indeed provide! I will be praying for you as you go through the moving process.

    I got your comment on my blog - I'm still crying - thank you so much! You have such a generous heart. How can I get in touch further? *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome news! I hope the move goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete