25 February 2013

Meatless Meal: Southwest Fettuccine


Thank you once again, Betty Crocker.

Her red book has some awesome meals in the Vegetarian section. I sure have come pretty far since this post in regards to my pickiness. This recipe involves both salsa and black beans, two things I would not have touched a few years ago. It also involves chili sauce, which I didn't even know existed until I decided to make cocktail meatballs for my baby's birthday party.

But everyone in the house loved this! (Yes, even the baby!) Win win win.

I modified the recipe ever-so-slightly, so here you go.

Southwest Fettuccine
Easy! Fast! Feeds 4! (Can easily be doubled!)

Ingredients
8oz uncooked fettuccine
olive oil
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
handful of shredded cheese (optional)

Instructions
  1. Cook and drain fettuccine as directed on package. Toss with some olive oil. 
  2. While fettucine is cooking (or you can do it after in the same saucepan and cover the fettucine in a bowl to keep it warm), mix remaining ingredients except cilantro and cheese. Cook over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender.
  3. Divide fettuccine among 4 bowls. Top each with about 3/4 cup sauce mixture. Sprinkle with cilantro or cheese (or both?).

(Obviously the picture above has neither of the optional ingredients. It also looks like barf-covered noodles. But it doesn't taste like that, I promise!! Betty has a better picture over here.)

Go check out other meatless meals with Beth Anne's Best or Tales From Astoria. And for year-round meatless Friday ideas, my friend Kinsi has an awesome series called My Thursday Entrée.

2 comments:

  1. What a creative recipe! I would have never thought to put the two together (pasta and southwest sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the plug! I am intrigued by the idea of salsa on pasta. I think I would probably start from scratch on this one myself and use fresh tomato... hm, now I'm curious. I might play with this soon!

    ReplyDelete